A letter of thanks to Interior Savings members,
What a year it has been. In our community and across the globe, many faced financial hardship, others grieved the loss of loved ones, and I don’t believe a single person was left untouched by disturbances to our daily routines and the emotional weight these recent events have carried.
And against this backdrop, after nearly two years of careful planning, Interior Savings completed a major conversion to a new banking system. While the upgrade was a success and will ensure we can continue providing exceptional service and modern conveniences to our members, I know there were bumps in the road for some of you, particularly around online access and wait times in the weeks following the conversion. To all of our members, I sincerely thank you for your loyalty and patience as we made this important change.
2020 challenged all of us, myself included, to find strength and resiliency and to learn different ways of doing things. It is my sincere hope, as I reflect on this past year, that we made you feel safe when visiting us, that your needs were met even when we had to adjust our services and, most importantly, that you know how much we appreciated your understanding, kindness and ongoing support.
This past year truly brought into focus the importance of supporting the businesses in our community that provide jobs and, year after year, provide financial support to the many non-profits, associations and service groups that enrich our lives and help us get back up when life knocks us down.
The need in our community was immense and, thanks to you, we were able to help answer that call. Here are just a few of the ways that you, as a member and owner of Interior Savings, helped positively impact people’s lives this year:
- Through our Community Relief Fund and Community Impact Term Deposit, $150,000 was awarded to help 45 local non-profits address unprecedented needs related to the pandemic.
- In partnership with others, we awarded Sustainable Recovery Grants to 10 non-profits across Kamloops, and the Okanagan, to overcome challenges, innovate and pursue new opportunities.
- We awarded over $800,000 in student bursaries.
- We contributed $20,000 to the community relief efforts of the United Ways in our region.
- With help from our Community Investment Fund, we supported programs, workshops and equipment for the YMCA of the Okanagan, Elizabeth Fry in Kamloops the Okanagan Regional Library, CRIS Adaptive Adventures, and the Metis Community Services Society of BC.
- On credit union day we gave out $15,000 in the form of donations, free coffee for healthcare workers, paying for people’s grocery bills, and much more.
- We expanded our Music and Memories Program, having now sponsored its launch in 11 care homes in our region, and we helped 12 care homes purchase tablets and accessories to keep residents connected to loved ones.
- And of course, in the spirit of keeping things local, we sponsored several shop local initiatives and ran contests to promote and build awareness for some of our own small business members.
Interior Savings is your credit union. Take pride in what we, as a collective group of owners, are doing to help people achieve financial success while also building a stronger community. And please remember, we are here to help you achieve your financial goals, to help you prepare for (and weather) financial setbacks while also providing the day-to-day support and convenience you need to manage your money with ease. If there’s anything you need, please reach out.
I wish you the warmest of wishes this holiday season and a new year full of peace and joy.
Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Joyous Kwanzaa and Happy Holidays.
President & CEO